Sunday, January 26, 2014

Soufflé Pancakes


I miss eating Apple Brandy soufflé pancakes at Bette's Oceanview Diner in Berkeley, CA. How I miss the light, fluffy, eggy, soft, sweet but not too sweet, fat but not too fat, basically not your typical IHOP pancake... the soufflé pancake. This is MY breakfast on a Thursday morning. Oh I'm fancy huh? 


Ingredients: 

eggs, separated

  • ½ cup soy milk
  • 2 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
  • ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • Fruit for decorating

How to Make:

1. Beat egg yolks, soy milk, melted butter, all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt.
2. In an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture.
4. Spread oil onto a cast iron skillet. Turn to medium heat.
5. Pour batter into cast iron skillet and heat for 5 minutes, up to the point where the bottom of the batter has solidified and cooked firm. 
6. Place into broiler on low heat and cook for 4 minutes or until light brown.
7. Serve with a dust of powdered sugar, honey, and slice of apple! 

My end result: the pancake wasn't as puffy as that of Bette's, most likely because I didn't add any fruit to the batter and/ or maybe because of the soy milk I used? I have yet to try this again... on a Sunday Thursday morning sumptuous brunch.

1 comment: